Bread in a Mug
  • ladyp1234ladyp1234
    Found this quick and novel recipe that worked well but it needs improving as it is rather bland. I'm not great at inventing in the kitchen but I wondered if anyone fancied trying some ideas with it......? Maybe savoury rather than sweet?

1/2 cup flax meal
    1 egg
    2 Tbsp almond milk
    1/2 Tbsp coconut oil or butter
    1.5 tsp cinnamon
    1 packet (1.5 tsp) stevia
    1/2 tsp baking powder
    Dash of salt

Cooking Steps
    Mix ingredients in a mug and microwave for 2:20. If you do not care to use the microwave, bake at 375 for approximately 10 minutes.

It's from here: http://fastpaleo.com/mug-bread/
  • mbuna13mbuna13
    I have made this probably 6 times now in the last 2 weekends. DH and I like it and it is fast. The only thing I have change (and the original is fine) is that out of the 1/2 cup of flax meal I exchanged 2 TBS with Almond flour just to change the taste up a bit. So 2 TBS almond flour and 6 TBS flax. We also tried coconut flour which taste fine but will come out much drier and have not made it enough to let you know how to modify it yet.

I have attached a pic of our latest batch... sorry we ate all the other ones to quick to snap a pic. :)

The bowl is just softened butter.

• DrCathyDrCathy
    This looks like a good recipe.  Thanks!   I made a paleo bread version today that was...well...let's say one slice was enough for me! Won't share that one    :P
  • MooseGeorgeMooseGeorge
    Just had some of this for breakfast after my resistance workout.  Yumm!  I'm wondering if I can increase the recipe and start making loaves so I can have sandwiches again.  This stuff is SO good for you.  Very high in fiber, high in omega 3, only about 1.5 grams of sugar.  I'm trying to eat some every day.
  • DrCathyDrCathy
    Hey, NOT BAD!!   Little brillo pads for the gut; but taste really good!  I used one tbsp xylitol for sweetness.
    THANKS! 
    Cathy
  • DrCathyDrCathy
    Except I think I shouldn't nibble up the whole thing today while I work....1/2 cup of flaxseed is a mighty gas producer...got choir practice tonight... :-S
  • popcornpopcorn
    LOL @DrCathy...... something about 'gas producer' and Choir practice set me to giggling.
    They say your voice is an instrument.... OH well never mind.
  • DrCathyDrCathy
    Ya, that song we're singing-- Jame's Taylor's "Walk Down That Lonesome Road...All By Yourself" takes on a new meaning.....
  • mbuna13mbuna13
    @DrCathy. Having gas at Choir is fine. Just don't be out of tune. :)
  • mbuna13mbuna13
    Tonight I made a little BLT (with avocado) with this bread. I toasted the bread and had it with mayo. It was pretty good for the first try. Next round I will add a little more tomato as the bread is a little dryer that most bread, but it was pretty tasty. :)

• VivianM1VivianM1
    This looks VERY good. I will give it a try over the weekend!

Cheers, Vivian
  • I fell off the SSOS wagon for a few months at the back end of 2012, solely for the lack of bread. So I was determined this time to find a recipe that actually tastes and behaves like bread.

And here we are, found at http://www.healthextremist.com/paleo-bread-recipe/ It's a bit heavy on the eggs, but well worth it.

Ingredients:<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

-1/2 Cup
    Coconut Flour

-1 1/4 Cups
    Almond Flour

-1/4 Cup
    Ground Chia Seeds or Flaxseeds

- 5 Eggs

-1/4
    Teaspoon Sea Salt

Tablespoons Coconut Oil

Tablespoon apple cider vinegar

-1/2
    Teaspoon Baking Soda

(This
    recipe makes a smaller loaf of bread, in order to have larger pieces of bread
    you may want to double the recipe)

Paleo
    Bread Recipe Instructions:

1. Blend
    all dry ingredients in bowl and all wet ingredients in separate bowl.

2. Combine
    wet and dry ingredients.

3. Pour
    into a 7.5 “x 3.5
    loaf pan and smooth the top.

4. Bake at
    350 degrees for 40 to 50 minutes.

5. Let cool
    before slicing.

• DrCathyDrCathy
    I did the mug recipe with the following ingredients: 

1/4 cup flax meal
    1/4 c almond meal
    1 egg
    2 Tbsp cream
    1/2 tsp baking powder
    Dash of salt

And out came an english-muffin-oid thing that works for Eggs Benedict! 
  • mbuna13mbuna13
    @DrCathy  mmmm english-muffin  YUMMM. Yeah I knew I could add more almond meal I was just trying to keep the fiber up by going 1/4 almond.. but my DH LOVES english muffins so will have to try this.

I happen to love Eggs Benedict. How did you make your sauce? Please share.
  • DrCathyDrCathy
    I'm still experimenting with this...I think it could be lighter and better...maybe some more leavening.  

Hollandaise sauce here: 

You don't use a whole batch for one person, and it's still a very "eggy" breakfast...you don't want to do this too often, but for a special treat, moderately SANE.  

Cathy 
  • debkuhnendebkuhnen
    Made it this morning using Cathy's recipe.  I did it in the oven as we try not to use the microwave too often.  I baked it at 37F for 15 minutes and then had to take it out as I was going out.  Tested it this afternoon and it's still a little wet in the middle.  It doesn't really matter as I sliced and toasted it, but I'd say 20 minutes would be a better estimate. 
    I enjoyed slices of it toasted and topped with mustard and crispy bacon.  Quite yummy!
  • debkuhnendebkuhnen
    I made this again today with some changes.  I mixed it all together in my Vitamix, but omitted the almond milk and added a roma/plum tomato.  I didn't bother chopping it as the Vitamix did that for me.  I also added 1 tsp. garlic powder and 1/2 tsp. oregano.  I dolloped it onto a piece of parchment to make 4 bun-sized blobs.  I baked it at 375F for about 15 minutes.  I halved the buns, buttered them and had them with cold meat and mustard.  Yummy.
  • SigiSigi

Here's the grain-free "bread" recipe I always use - totally stolen from Rivvin at the MDA forum (thanks Rivvin!).

Your Hardware:

A square or round glass container with a
    flat bottom, roughly the size of a slice of bread.

Your Software:

1/4 cup flax meal or almond meal (they are
    both good, but personally I would use the almond, makes for a softer bread)

2 tbsp fat (coconut oil or butter)

1 tsp baking powder

1 egg

(Optional: onion powder, sesame seeds,
    garlic powder, whatever SANE savoury stuff you like to kick up the flavour)

Mix all of that together very well and then
    pour it in your container. Microwave it for 1 minute 20 seconds. I believe it
    will work in the oven (say 350 degrees), it's just going to take longer (keep
    your eye on it till it stop rising and that apparently means the bread's done,
    maybe 15 minutes?).

Woohoo – you just made bread!

Some say it smells a bit eggy, but I think less
    so once it cools down. It will also firm up a bit when it cools, so you can
    hold it like a real sandwich.

• OH WOW! I cannot wait to try this!!!  Thank you for sharing guys! 
  • mbuna13mbuna13
    Still loving my bread in a mug... but this am I made a egg Mc-flaxen...   very very good.

• @Mbuna13, has resurrected, the notorious "bread in a mug" thread!!!

:)

That McLovin sandwich, looks divine!
  • mbuna13mbuna13
    @tomelevine1   it was SO good...  I actually woofed it down...  haven't done that with something in a while.

The over easy egg was perfect so that the yolk actually soaked in to the bread to help with the dryness. I thought I would miss the cheese on it (just didn't have any sliced cheese) but it was fine.

I made one again this am using a slightly bigger around dish so it fit the egg better.